Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Media literacy

Media literacy, in my opinion, cannot be more important than literacy. By sheer definition, literacy is the ability to read, write and interact with the world. Media is one tool to facilitate literacy. I do strongly believe that many in society are heavily dependent on media. I myself have become heavily reliant on a smart phone over the last two years. No one is more shocked than myself. I was not an early adopter of cell phones. I have long resented the need of people to be reachable at all times at any cost. The change for me came when the media became a useful tool for me.

Medias importance is in its use as a tool and resource. Can I walk down the street and ask someone a question? Yes. Is picking up the phone easier? Yes. Is texting even easier since I don't have to have whole conversation to get the information? Yes. Could I simply look up the information and be done with the whole process without need of involving someone else? Most likely. For me, the importance of literacy is a basic need. Media literacy is a higher level of application.

The importance of media comes into play in situations where to use media enables someone to interact with the world in socially recognized ways. If media is the way a community is connected, like much of the industrial world is, then media is of rising importance.

In Chapter 9 of Robyler, it states quite clearly that we must create new definitions and ever expanding learning to stay competent in new literacies. My thought is, we still have to be able to actually read the instructions that come with new technologies.


5 comments:

  1. I agree Molly with your statement that the need for media is a rising importance. It is, but it does not mean it is more important than print literacy. I really liked your comment on being able to look up information and forgo a conversation altogether, which is completely true in most cases, but to really be able to do that one must have the ability to read! With out that ability one would be stuck using one sort of technology they will eventually become outdated. You are right, as new technology comes in to play, we are going to need to be able to comprehend the directions to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, you make great point about media and technology being a tool to facilitate literacy. Even if a student can understand pictures and ideas conveyed on a screen in front of them, this does not denote a literate person. And the act of writing cannot be achieved by staring a computer or television screen. While these tools can help, the student must actually write (as per the definition). This doesn't mean that media literacy shouldn't be a standard. As technology becomes more integrated into society, I think it is going to be essential that students have a basic understanding of the processes and tools associated with it - only after they have learned to read and write, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, I think you made some pretty good points. Most importantly, that literacy- media or not- is about being able to read and write. i think one of the fears I have, is that teachers will either lower standards when teaching media literacy (like not teaching the students to write in cursive) or will spend too much time on the computer skills required to be "computer literate". Above all else, I think computers and the media are necessary tools, but should be limited to "tools". The use of technology should be carefully applied, so that they are not detracting from the overall lessons in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your point of being able to grab info without having to get into a conversation was interesting. That is convenient when people do not like dealing with other people face to face. But what will happen to people’s interpersonal skills if they do not have to meet or even have to talk to people? This may seem like a tangent from your point, but I have seen this trend in my last job. If I absolutely hate working with an individual or a supervisor, I can use this technique to avoid them. Information still flows, and I do not have to worry about them seeing me roll my eyes at them face to face. I do not know the answer to this question, I just wanted to hear another person’s opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly,
    At first I thought that both literacies were equally important. However, your blog gave some very good arguements as to why print literacy is more important. One must have the ablility to read, write and interact with the world. I also agree with you when you said that media literacy is a higher level of application and that it's importance is rising.

    ReplyDelete